Sunday, September 27, 2009

10 Golden Rules of Lomography

Toy cameras yield surprising results. Sometimes I'm floored with amazement at the shots that come out, and other times I'm crushed with disappointment. I've learned to not take photography so seriously when I'm using a toy or homemade camera, far better to just shoot something and move on to the next moment, trying not to worry about what the shot will look like.

Some of the most glorious pictures have been ones that I utterly forgot about taking or didn't even take the time to set up the shot or worry about the camera settings. I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to visualize what the Holga is going to see, not like an SLR or TLR anyway, but maybe thats the low-budget thrill of using a toy camera?

So, in the spirit of serendipity, here are the 10 Golden Rules of Lomography as stated by the Lomographic Society:

1. Take your camera everywhere you go.
2. Use it any time – day and night.
3. Lomography is not an interference in your life, but part of it.
4. Try the shot from the hip.
5. Approach the objects of your Lomographic desire as close as possible.
6. Don’t think. (William Firebrace)
7. Be fast.
8. You don’t have to know beforehand what you captured on film.
9. Afterwards either.
10. Don’t worry about any rules.

Happy snapping!


No comments: